History of Our College

Conception

Conception

Six decades have gone by and the moment calls for celebration and necessitates an acknowledgement of the visionary ideals of the founders of this institution. It was in the year 1945, a committee was constituted to commemorate the sacrifice of the first Swadeshi navigator and freedom fighter V. O. Chidambaram Pillai and to build a great monument to the great martyr. The following philanthropists were on the committee:


  • Shri. M. V. Sundaravel (President)

  • Shri. A. P. C. Veerabahu (Secretary)

  • Shri. M. Venkatakrishnan (Member)

  • Shri. M. C. Veerabahu (Member)

  • Shri. P. Kandasamy (Member)

Of the committee members, M.Venkatakrishnan, M.C.Veerabahu and P.Kandasamy were staunch freedom fighters and their presence in the committee provided a nationalistic perspective to the other members.

The committee first thought of building a monument to the late freedom fighter "Chekkilutha Chemmal", V. O. Chidambaram Pillai and so planned a Town Hall or a big Library. At that moment Dr. A. L. Mudaliar, the then Vice Chancellor of Madras University had appealed to Philanthropists all over Tamilnadu to start colleges in unrepresented areas. Spurred by this news, himself a graduate Shri. A. P. C. Veerabahu realizing the importance of education in empowering people of "Nava Bharath" mooted the idea of establishing an educational institution for men.

At first, the proposal received a cautious response from the majority of the members of the committee. But it was the veteran freedom fighter and member of the constituent assembly Shri. M. C. Veerabahu who readily appreciated the suggestion of Shri. A. P. C. Veerabahu and offered his full support to establish the educational institution. The other members saw wisdom in his unconditional support and wholeheartedly endorsed and thus came into being V. O. Chidambaram Educational Society constituted by the above mentioned five luminaries.

In 1946, V. O. Chidambaram Memorial fund raising was begun. This laudable move was blessed by the renowned statesman Chakaravarthi Rajaji. Later V. O. C. Educational society was constituted in 1947 to provide higher education for the benefit of the young especially the poor in and around Thoothukudi.