History of Our College

Shri P. Kumarasamy Raja, the then Chief Minister of Madras State, laid the foundation stone of V. O. Chidambaram College on 9th June, 1947.

Inception

After clearing several hurdles, our founder secretary, Shri. A. P. C. Veerabahu was able to arrange for the inception of our college. Shri. P. Kumarasamy Raja, the then Chief Minister of Madras State, laid the foundation stone of the college in 1947.

V. O. Chidambaram College, as shaped by Kulapathy Shri. A. P. C. Veerabahu, is not just a college but a temple of learning in Tuticorin, steeped in elegance and majestically raising to the skies in a sprawling hundred acres of land. In 1951 at a domestic function with A. Srininvasa Raghavan as the first Principal and with an ensign displaying the motto, Love, Knowledge and Righteousness, V. O. Chidambaram College began its academic routine.

This enduring institution is not built of stone, mortar, iron and woods but of blood, vision, dedication, compassion and the altruism of the Honourable Founder Secretary Kulapathy A. P. C. Veerabahu. Even when sustained growth and development were stalled by cumbersome fiscal demands of the government and university our Kulapathy had borne the brunt on himself and his family has so far parted with several lakh to maintain the tempo of development. He synergically continues to enliven in the higher educational institutions that he had started, namely V. O. Chidambaram College in 1951, V. O. Chidambaram College of Education in 1955, A.P.C.Mahalaxmi College for women in 1973.

Affiliated to the then Madras University, a number of under graduate courses were started in various disciplines. Five hostels, including the three that were built within the campus provided stay to the outstation students of the college.

In 1966, the College was affiliated to the newly born Madurai University. In the post 1966 period, this college emerged as a post-graduate centre with the introduction of P.G courses in several disciplines like English and Chemistry. At that time, this college was the largest college in Madurai University area for many years in terms of student strength. A Central Hall with gallery and an architecturally elegant Auditorium were later built in the college to organise seminars and cultural performances, .