Course Details :
Ph.D. in Zoology is a 3-year doctorate degree in Zoology. As an academic discipline, Zoology involves a study of animals, their structural classifications, and the science of their existence in the environment.
Eligible candidates aspiring to pursue the course need to have attained a Master’s degree in the relevant discipline with a minimum aggregate score of 55%. The course is designed for students wishing to study animal behaviour at an advanced level and as an academic specialty, besides evolutionary trends, species and characteristics, and the structure, functioning, behavior, and evolution of animals, including living beings.
Students are directly supervised by one of our group leaders, who will support them in developing an independent and novel project in their field of interest. Students will learn how to review relevant literature, to phrase and answer scientific questions, and how to report their findings to the scientific community, at conferences and through peer-reviewed scientific publications. We very much encourage students to get experience in undergraduate teaching, which can be either as demonstrators during practical classes or supervisors teaching small groups.
By the end of the programme, students will have:
- a comprehensive understanding of techniques, and a thorough knowledge of the literature, applicable to their own research;
- demonstrated originality in the application of knowledge, together with a practical understanding of how research and enquiry are used to create and interpret knowledge in their field;
- shown abilities in the critical evaluation of current research and research techniques and methodologies; and
- demonstrated some self-direction and originality in tackling and solving problems, and acted autonomously in the planning and implementation of research.
Doing Ph.D. gives value and interest in life and career. After successfully getting a Doctor's in Zoology, one may join the following organizations,
- Wildlife Protection Society of India
- Salim Ali School
- Wildlife Trust of India
- CZA (Central Zoo Authority)
- Wildlife Information Liazon Development
- BNHS (Bombay National History Society
- CSE (Centre for Science & Environment)
- ATREE (Ashoka Trust for Research in Ecology & Environment)
Ph.D. in Zoology gives the following postions,
- Marine Scientist
- Nature Conservation Officer
- Biomedical Scientist
- Zoo Curator
Duration : 3 Years
Eligibility : M.Sc. / M.Phil. - Zoology
Sanctioned Strength : Depends upon the availability of guides