Postgraduate and Research Department of English
The Department of English, established in 1951, has been teaching English Literature at undergraduate and postgraduate levels since 1966 and 1967 respectively. It has a vibrant team of faculty members who are actively involved in imparting knowledge through teaching, researching, presenting and publishing papers, editing periodicals and serving as resource persons in conferences. The department has a well-equipped language laboratory to teach communication skills. The English Literary Association of the department organises academic meetings and guest lectures. The department runs a national level quarterly literary magazine, Cuckoo, and a website crammed full of online resources for the aid of students. The students of the department have proved their excellence in various fields: academia, cultural activities, and competitive examinations.
- Building a Vibrant and Inclusive Skillful Learning Community.
- To promote humanism through language and literature.
- To empower students to think creatively and chisel them as responsible citizens.
- To make the English Language and Literature courses relevant and effective for the disadvantaged to meet the demands of the present time
- To become a centre of research on English Language and Literature
- To promote research on English Language and Literature.
- To establish a counselling and career guidance centre
- To become a resource centre for English Language Teaching for the neighbourhood
- To upgrade the department into a centre for research and extension activities.
- To apply for major and minor projects.
- To start a research journal on English Language and Literature.
- To organize national and international conferences funded by UGC.
- To conduct workshops on English for Specific Purposes (ESP).
- To set up an exclusive library for the department with a huge collection of latest books and journals on English Literature and Language Teaching.
Areas of Research
- MEMORY STUDIES
- AUSTRALIAN LITERATURE
- SUBALTERN STUDIES
- MEDIA STUDIES
- CANADIAN LITERATURE
- AFRICAN LITERATURE
- AFRICAN AMERICAN LITERATURE
- INDIAN WRITING IN ENGLISH
- INDIAN LITERATURE IN ENGLISH & TRANSLATION
- TRANSLATION STUDIES
- COMPUTER ASSISTED LANGUAGE TEACHING
- ENGLISH LANGUAGE TEACHING
- INDIAN AESTHETICS
- JOURNALISM & MASS MEDIA
- POST COLONIAL LITERATURE
- COMPARATIVE LITERATURE