Postgraduate & Research Department of History
The Postgraduate and Research Department of History has been offering B.A. History since 1964, M.A. History since 1986, M. Phil. History (unaided) since 2008, and Ph.D. History since 2009. The priority areas of research are Mission History, Local History, Freedom Struggle in Tamilnadu, Economic and Social History of Tamilnadu. It has a team of committed faculty members who are constantly involved in the development of learners by building their career and research prospects. The department follows choice based credit system with continuous assessment.
To provide the students with an understanding of the political and socio - economic happenings in a historical perspective inorder to make them responsible and conscious citizens.
- To produce intellectually well trained, socially committed, morally upright, emotionally competent and spiritually inspired citizens.
- To provide value based quality education.
- To promote higher education in the adjoining economically and socially backward areas.
- To encourage the study of History among learners hailing from rural areas and disadvantaged sections.
- To prepare students for competitive examinations.
- To promote research in Local History.
- To set up an exclusive library for the department with a huge collection of latest books and journals in History.
- To organise national level and state level seminars on 'Local History' funded by UGC.
- To conduct district level annual quiz competitions for students majoring on History.
- To supervise more Ph.D. researches.
- To organise an all India tour to make learners aware of historical sites in India.
- To support learners to get through competitive examinations.